01453 882 986

Party Wall Matters

Party Wall Matters

If you are proposing building works, have received a notice relating to the Party Wall etc Act 1996 or are concerned that your neighbour might be embarking on notifiable works please get in touch and we will be delighted to give you impartial advice.

If you or your neighbour is carrying out works to a shared wall or close to an adjacent property, the person carrying out the works (the Building Owner) may well need to notify the owner of the neighbouring property (the Adjoining Owner) in accordance with the Party Wall etc Act 1996. More information about the Act can be found here:

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 revised explanatory booklet

Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors publications

After receiving planning consent and building regulations approval, this piece of legislation is often overlooked. If you are planning building works or have received notice from your neighbour then our expert (a member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors) will be pleased to give you professional, impartial advice.

For relatively minor works the process will often end with the neighbour giving consent to the works or simply requesting a record of the condition of their property before works start. The most important thing is good communication. We will be happy to assist with this. Avoiding neighbours entering into dispute is our top priority.

The Party Wall etc Act is also a useful piece of legislation for more complex works which will impact the neighbouring property and its occupants; in these cases there will often be a dispute. We are pleased to act for Building Owners and/or Adjoining Owners to administer the Act and make an Award in relation to that dispute. We will always offer clear impartial advice and an explanation of the process throughout.

Get In Touch